Old 12-25-2010, 03:29 PM
AZZO540
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use data logging to tell gears your in

Old 12-26-2010, 06:46 PM
IL04Ram

Just got the 3865 from Santa the other day. Installed the 91 oct and wow. Best mod i have done so far. Was out driving and a durango was riding my @$$. I decided to punch it, and they couldnt keep up. I love it!

I have a question for anyone who has a SC 3865. After you installed the 91 tune, have you tried the Milage XL? I tried that tune and didnt notice any difference in anything. So i put it back to stock, and it still seems like its running the 91 tune. Im looking to get better gas milage out of it right now, and once summer comes, i plan on running a more agressive tune.

Thanks

Old 12-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Flexikid

The milage tune did very little for me. The gain I got wan't worth what I lost in the way it shifted. I did notice a 1.5 mpg gain with preformance tune using 93 octane. It runs great and sounds nice but durning the winter months I use the stock tune and run regular gas and it works out to cost the same money. What I lose in milage I gain in cost savings by using cheaper gas. Truck runs fine using regular gas. I drive with a very light foot. If you don't tow, superchips is a over-rated waste of money.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:21 PM
70blackfish
Amateur

I agree. must be for the smaller engines, I have the 5.7 hemi it did almost nothing. it did about a 50.00 dollar improvement. not 330.00

Old 12-27-2010, 09:38 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by Flexikid
The milage tune did very little for me. The gain I got wan't worth what I lost in the way it shifted. I did notice a 1.5 mpg gain with preformance tune using 93 octane. It runs great and sounds nice but durning the winter months I use the stock tune and run regular gas and it works out to cost the same money. What I lose in milage I gain in cost savings by using cheaper gas. Truck runs fine using regular gas. I drive with a very light foot. If you don't tow, superchips is a over-rated waste of money.
See, I still keep my 91 tune and 93 octane with my latest shift schedule all winter. I feel I get better rear wheel response which causes less wheel spin. What do I mean? When I'm at stock, I have to apply more throttle before my truck will down shift and when it does, the increased engine RPM coupled with the down shift causes my rear wheels to break loose. With my tune and shift schedule, I have to apply much less throttle to get a down shift. This keeps RPM and rear wheel torque fairly constant through the shifts, thus, no wheel spin.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Flexikid

Like I said, I drive with a light foot... never spin the wheels or beat on my truck in any way shape or form. The stock tune suits me fine the way I drive, only while towing I need to alter the way the trans shifts since tow mode doesn’t work the way it should. Superchips isn't for everybody and not everybody uses it for the same reason.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:44 AM
AZZO540
Veteran

hopefully making a poll on there website will help them move more quickly on it.
come vote and leave feedback on what you want
https://www.superchips.com/forum/vie...php?f=7&t=9951

Old 12-29-2010, 10:11 AM
trocks

Originally Posted by Flexikid
I pull a 5000 pound traval trailer on 1000 mile trips and found the best tune is the preformance tune. Don't waste your time with the tow tune, you will get better mileage and performance using the top tune with 93 octane. If fact I tested that programmer in every mode (pulling and not) and found the best results are preformance mode. I don't drive with a heavy and it cost me less to get that truck down the road using the top tune and 93 than the 87 tune.
Thank you Flexikid...No Offense to your suggestion...Can anyone confirm this as being true? To me, the Performance tune made my truck run like a "sport car/truck" with the way it shifts and how the power is delivered...meaning a lot of acceleration but not sure if that means low end torque? I would assume the "Tow or Heavy Tow" preset will offer better performance for towing a bigger load? I don't always trust "The Man" but would tend to trust Superchips has tuned these things for optimal performance based on each application and corresponding preset?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:13 PM
bighornram08
Professional

Anyone know of any good deals on the 3865. I want one! Ive heard it makes a big difference in the 08+ 4.7L. With around 48hp, 50 tq.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:22 PM
glass3222
Captain

Originally Posted by bighornram08
Anyone know of any good deals on the 3865. I want one! Ive heard it makes a big difference in the 08+ 4.7L. With around 48hp, 50 tq.
Those are the numbers SC list on their web site. That would give you about the same hp and tq as a stock hemi.

I would check around on the classified both here and other forums like DT, you can usually find then used for around $250. Just make sure if you get one used that the previous owner unlocks it before selling.

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates