Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:06 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flexikid
I pull a 5000 pound traval trailer on 1000 mile trips and found the best tune is the preformance tune. Don't waste your time with the tow tune, you will get better mileage and performance using the top tune with 93 octane. If fact I tested that programmer in every mode (pulling and not) and found the best results are preformance mode. I don't drive with a heavy and it cost me less to get that truck down the road using the top tune and 93 than the 87 tune.
FYI...SC does NOT recommend towing/hauling over 1500lbs in any tune except Tow Tune. They adjust timing, etc in Tow to give the necessary torque while towing. Also you should still use the tow/haul button/switch to lock out 5th gear.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Flexikid

If tow mode worked correctly for the 04 I would use it. I had it to the dealer, they did the flash to correct it but I still have to toggle between tow and normal mode to get it to work correctly. The dealer tells me it’s a known issue with that year. When you tow long distance like I do and have been doing for many years with many different makes and models, you drive by transmission temperature. Also on the 04 tow mode doesn’t lock out 5th gear like it does on the 03. It will shift into overdrive based on the parameters passed to the computer such as temp and line pressure. The truck does better under certain situations in regular mode.
As for Superchips, tow tune is worthless with the hemi. I can’t find any benefit in power or mileage with my driving style. I do see a benefit with the 91 performance tune, truck runs cooler, hemi tick goes away, better mileage and more power. I can’t speak for everyone because everybody has a different driving style but I have done extensive testing with Superchips trying to get down the road in the most efficient way possible with a heavy load. I don’t care what Superchips recommends because I know they haven’t done the testing that I have with their product.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:18 AM
trocks

Originally Posted by Flexikid
If tow mode worked correctly for the 04 I would use it. I had it to the dealer, they did the flash to correct it but I still have to toggle between tow and normal mode to get it to work correctly. The dealer tells me it’s a known issue with that year. When you tow long distance like I do and have been doing for many years with many different makes and models, you drive by transmission temperature. Also on the 04 tow mode doesn’t lock out 5th gear like it does on the 03. It will shift into overdrive based on the parameters passed to the computer such as temp and line pressure. The truck does better under certain situations in regular mode.
As for Superchips, tow tune is worthless with the hemi. I can’t find any benefit in power or mileage with my driving style. I do see a benefit with the 91 performance tune, truck runs cooler, hemi tick goes away, better mileage and more power. I can’t speak for everyone because everybody has a different driving style but I have done extensive testing with Superchips trying to get down the road in the most efficient way possible with a heavy load. I don’t care what Superchips recommends because I know they haven’t done the testing that I have with their product.
Indeed...."The Man" does not always know what is best. Thank you Flexikid for the response to your personal testing. If I had your engine and model year, I would do as you have and appreciate the time you took to discover what is best. It seems that HEMI owners do not see much benefit with SC overall as I continue to read forums. As for myself, I have an 06 1500 QC with the 4.7 which does not have the HEMI muscle from the factory like Flexikid gets to enjoy. The SC made a BIG difference in performance on my 4.7 and about 2 in MPG with performance tune when I driev light which is hard to do BTW: Just installed Ride Rite air springs last night...nice cheap mod I think all truck owners should do. Next will be full exhaust from new headers to the end along with getting rid of the crappy factory Y.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:10 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by trocks
...BTW: Just installed Ride Rite air springs last night...nice cheap mod I think all truck owners should do. ...
I put a set on last year because I was tired of how my 2500HD would squat under load. For a HD I couldn't believe how bad it would squat. Before the Ride Rite's, I put a pallet of 8x8x16 cinder blocks and a pallet of 80lb concrete mix(different loads) and each load it lacked about 1-1.5" of hitting the bump stops. Now I can fill the bed with firewood and my truck stays nice and level. I keep about 30lbs in the bags until I need additional load control. Great mod as far as I'm concerned.

I even thought of entering the truck pull at our local fair this year - fill the air bags to 100lbs(max) to see if I could keep the sled up in the air a little, drop my tire pressures to 40lb, tune to Tow/Haul, switch to OD Off and give her hell. Only limitation; 6000lbs max for gas engines so I didn't think I'd make weight.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:07 PM
bjv311
Default 2004 dodge ram superchip'd WOT shift issues 2nd-3rd

I've been lurking the forums for a while but rarely post. I was going to see if anyone else had this issue with superchips.

When i have it WOT and it shifts from 2nd-3rd it then downshifts again and then goes up. I'm trying to figure out what is going on and how to fix it.
i have 1st-2nd WOT shift set at 5450 and 2nd-3rd @ 5450. This is on the performance 91 tune with rev limiter @ 6200, and Torque management @ 8%. Also have it set to let superchips do the up/dn shifting. Any tips on what to do would be much appreciated. I have a video link if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zO22t_L8Ek

Thanks

Old 12-31-2010, 05:40 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

^^bjv, seems like you have a short range of mph/rpm's inbetween shifts. I think if you overlap them more you won't have that issue.
I have a couple of quick shift/overrev situations myself at WOT because of the short overlap in shift patterns that I need to address.

If you've got SC preset shifts, then I dunno??

Old 12-31-2010, 06:06 PM
AZZO540
Veteran

Originally Posted by AZZO540
hopefully making a poll on there website will help them move more quickly on it.
come vote and leave feedback on what you want
https://www.superchips.com/forum/vie...php?f=7&t=9951
Originally Posted by keysguy
Originally Posted by azzo540
So IS SC even thinkin about it?
Or do we need more votes?
Let me put it this way, I'm in constant contact with the President of Superchips. I point him to threads like these in all the Dodge Ram forums. He's very much aware you and other folks want custom tuning. That's a good thing.
Your poll is appreciated and will get their/his attention. I can tell you Ron will point him to his poll as well.
Point everyone you know to this thread and have them vote. The more, the better.

K
from SC forum vote!

Old 12-31-2010, 06:23 PM
bjv311

Originally Posted by dirtydog
^^bjv, seems like you have a short range of mph/rpm's inbetween shifts. I think if you overlap them more you won't have that issue.
I have a couple of quick shift/overrev situations myself at WOT because of the short overlap in shift patterns that I need to address.

If you've got SC preset shifts, then I dunno??

Well I let superchips control both the up/dn on the shifts. Do you think I should set it to user and put in Eric's or Matt's user defined shifts and see if that fixes it? Or maybe i changed something accidently and didn't notice. I may have to reset performance 91 back to its org. settings. But it's driving me nuts especially merging on the freeway =/.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:30 PM
AZZO540
Veteran

it should, most ppl use user setting

Old 12-31-2010, 08:49 PM
bjv311

k gonna try it out will report back soon, thx for the help.

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates