Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:50 AM
SilsHemi
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mud Marine
Thanks Sil,
I was actually looking for the details on the Cortex PT warranty (obviously not very hard) whats your take on it? worth it? Let me know if you happen to have a link for the details
For me, not worth it. I've used the tuning since my 2004 Ram and now on my 2008. I haven't had an issue. Save the money and do the 3865.

Warranty information here: Cortex Warranty

Sil

Old 03-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Hoosier BigHorn
Rookie

Just got my 3865 the other day. I updated it online but have not programmed my truck yet - saving that for this weekend when I have more time to mess with it. I'll probably use the 87 octane tune and the tow tune the most but I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. I usually run 89 octane in my truck, which is mid-grade around here (southern Indiana). Can I use the 87 octane tune with 89 octane gas? What octane do I need to use with the tow tune? The three grades we have where I live are 87, 89, and 93.
Thanks!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:34 AM
SilsHemi
All Star

Originally Posted by Hoosier BigHorn
Can I use the 87 octane tune with 89 octane gas? What octane do I need to use with the tow tune? The three grades we have where I live are 87, 89, and 93.
Thanks!
87 tune with 89 octane is fine. When you tow, use 93 octane.

Sil

Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 PM
bartvandenberg
Professional

Originally Posted by Hoosier BigHorn
Just got my 3865 the other day. I updated it online but have not programmed my truck yet - saving that for this weekend when I have more time to mess with it. I'll probably use the 87 octane tune and the tow tune the most but I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. I usually run 89 octane in my truck, which is mid-grade around here (southern Indiana). Can I use the 87 octane tune with 89 octane gas? What octane do I need to use with the tow tune? The three grades we have where I live are 87, 89, and 93.
Thanks!

Your owners manual will say which grade of octane you should use.

89 is suggested for a hemi, and i think 87 for a 4.7.

Don't be fooled into thinking higher octane means higher performance or better mileage. If anyone says different, ask them to prove it.

unless your engine knocks (which means your a/f mixture is being exploded upon compression and not by the spark plug) then switch to a higher grade. It may help with earlier detonation.

So... to answer your question (backed up by years of fact and research) use 87 octane for 87 tune. No need to spend extra on a higher octane level, since it does absolutely nothing for your engine.

towing may (MAY) require higher octane, but only if you notice the engine is knocking. If not, it will help you nothing to put in 89 or 93, aside from making your poorer!

Old 03-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Mud Marine
Amateur

Originally Posted by SilsHemi
For me, not worth it. I've used the tuning since my 2004 Ram and now on my 2008. I haven't had an issue. Save the money and do the 3865.

Warranty information here: Cortex Warranty

Sil
after a good read im with you. Thanks for all the help!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:31 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

Originally Posted by Mud Marine
after a good read im with you. Thanks for all the help!
I just noticed in your signature you have a manual? Call Superchips customer service before you buy. I'm not sure if the manual for the 4.7 is supported.

Sil

Old 03-24-2011, 08:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Has anybody who updated to the new software been able to login with their existing username and password?

I logged in manually (by typing my username and password) with the old updater (2.0.69) and it logged me right in, so I uninstalled it off my PC as instructed and the new software (3.0) says I'm not a registered user, forcing me to create a new account.

It would take next to nothing to port the old user names and passwords from the old system.

So NOW, will the new software know I have the transmission shift schedule option or am I going to have to start over from scratch?

Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Has anybody who updated to the new software been able to login with their existing username and password?

I logged in manually (by typing my username and password) with the old updater (2.0.69) and it logged me right in, so I uninstalled it off my PC as instructed and the new software (3.0) says I'm not a registered user, forcing me to create a new account.

It would take next to nothing to port the old user names and passwords from the old system.

So NOW, will the new software know I have the transmission shift schedule option or am I going to have to start over from scratch?
I believe there are to many changes in the user database to port the old system. We've been asked to re-register. You can use your current username and password on the new system. The new system is much faster so it shouldn't be to much of an issue to re-register.

The shift schedules are a separate software and are not impacted by this new system.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

Mark is correct in his statement above. The new system includes substantial improvements to security that would not allow us to port over the old data.

The positive side to this is that you can carry over your original user name and password into the new system since the two won't be communicating where it would cause an issue.

Scott

Originally Posted by MDSBigPaPa
I believe there are to many changes in the user database to port the old system. We've been asked to re-register. You can use your current username and password on the new system. The new system is much faster so it shouldn't be to much of an issue to re-register.

The shift schedules are a separate software and are not impacted by this new system.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

The 3.0 updater has a new internal feature. In the past, the old updater would automatically update the tuner to the latest database regardless if no changes were made to your vehicle's specific template. The updater is now smart enough to know when your template has changed and will update you at that time. If the template hasn't changed for your vehicle, it won't update your current database. In essence, whatever revision of database you currently have (regardless of DB number) is up to date.

Here's how the Superchips programmer explained it to me:

Let’s say I change the template (for the calibration in your vehicle) the updater will give you the newest template. The updater keeps a tab on what “revision” you are at. If the template does not change, no change in database…

Please note: DTC's and firmware will always be updated when available.

Sil

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates