3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Blown hemi engine @ 29800 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Shoeman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Blown hemi engine @ 29800 miles

Hello,

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500, i bought new with 10 mile. i don't drive it that much, but last week i did and was going down the road and noticed the check gage light can on and went off and on. I looked down at the gages and noticed the oil presure was gage not moving and then boom a big cloud of smoke out the back and truck died. only 29820 miles, bring to a dealer and should be covered under the power train warranty 7/70,000.

The dealer said the checked the dip stick and there no oil on it and no signs of oil leaking, so they declined the warranty and want me to pay $7200.00 to replace the engine.

What to do? i don't have $7200.00 to replace the engine.
call an lawyer? call customer care? trade it? replace engine somewhere else?(cheaper) and ideas would help.

Thanks

Old 08-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Shoeman

i just went to pep boys to ask them how much to replace the engine and they have a truck there that is same as mine except with short bed that they just replace the engine in for $6600.00. what are the odds of that.

How many 5.7 hemi have blown?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoeman
i just went to pep boys to ask them how much to replace the engine and they have a truck there that is same as mine except with short bed that they just replace the engine in for $6600.00. what are the odds of that.

How many 5.7 hemi have blown?

Not many, it's been a very reliable engine so far (although no engine is gonna make it with no oil in the crankcase).

I've seen quite a few '03s drop a piston due to a broken spring and a few lose a cylinder when guys run 87 octane gas regularly, but aside from that, the thing doesn't really die...

Old 08-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Shoeman

Thanks for the quick reply. i never seen the truck burn any oil, where did it go?

Old 08-19-2011, 04:00 PM
2006RAMHEMI1979
Professional

I'd be busting some ***. They would need a better excuse than "we checked the dipstick".

Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Rings and valves.

Get yourself a low mileage Hemi off of Ebay and have a Garage install it. Engine is roughly $2k shipped and install is pretty cheap because it would already be prety much assembled. The dealer would be buying just a bare long block and taking your stuff off and re0installing it on the new block. That's where alot of the money comes from.

Also, where do you have it serviced(oil changed?) How long ago was it done? That's the place to blame if no oil is in there. Hemi's take 7qts, not 5.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:09 AM
IamFrank
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you may have left it sitting for some time and failed to check the fluids before driving her again. I don't mean to be presumptive, but if it did not have any oil in it and you have not had the oil changed for a long while, well, it seems that bill came due.

That being said, you're best bet at getting them to cover the cost is to get one or more other reputable shops to verify that it was not your fault or due to negligence and then call Chrysler Top Care with the verifiable evidence to back your claim. Then call the dealership and bring the pain. Tell them about your proof, the fact that Chrysler Top Care has your back, and BE CALM, STERN, AND PERSISTENT or you will lose.

Your dealership can afford to fix your Ram, but they can't afford you trashing them on every single search engine, forum, etc. with negative reviews and continually calling and showing up demanding they right this wrong. They only get away with declining warranty claims because for some stupid reason, when they say no, not too many people fight back (with any gusto anyway). I won't ramble on any longer but remember, if you want it fixed, make it happen. Simple as that.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:12 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough luck. BTW, I wouldn't let Pep Boys change my oil, much less replace the motor. If you ran it with low/no oil, the warranty won't cover squat. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
Tough luck. BTW, I wouldn't let Pep Boys change my oil, much less replace the motor. If you ran it with low/no oil, the warranty won't cover squat. Good luck.

Yeah, I gotta agree. I personally know two people who had an engine go on them shortly after leaving getting their oil changed at a Pep Boys. On one, a Nissan Frontier, he suspects they only hand tightened the drain plug and it vibrated off 2 days later and all the oil dumped out, engine seized up. The guy took them to court, but since it didn't happen right away and he couldn't prove how/when he lost the plug, he lost.

The other, a good friend of my mom took her 'yota car in and they replaced the plug nice and tight but forgot to put the oil in. Three blocks down the road, the engine seized. They replaced it, but she got a 130,000 mile engine to replace her 71k engine and it never did run well after she got it back...

Old 08-20-2011, 07:42 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My niece lost a nice 4.6L in her 94 Cougar because of Poopboys. They had replaced the oil pressure switch because the original was leaking. Fair enough, but they cocked the sensor part during the installation of the new one. About 2 weeks later, the whole sensor blew apart from being stressed during the install. By the time the light came on, it had pumped all of the oil out and fried the cam journals on the driver side head and seized an intake valve. I wouldn't let them put air in my tires!!

Name:  DSCN1465.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  66.4 KB

Should look more like this!!

Name:  DSCN1463.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  53.1 KB

Quick Reply: Blown hemi engine @ 29800 miles