3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Moog front end parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 AM
Deerhunter90
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moog front end parts

I'm getting ready to rebuild the front end on my 03 ram 2wd, I really don't like the sealed system setup both oem parts and duralast etc use I've found moog parts that all have grease fittings but seem to be $50 or so higher per part ( I'm replacing lower ball joints control arms tie rid ends etc) are they worth the extra money since I'm planning on keeping the truck for at least 200k more miles?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out this thread
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...end-links.html

RockAuto has the Moog's for $28 each.

I personally like sealed joints. If no dirt can get in, then they stay very clean. I suppose if you wanted to flush them every oil change that wouldn't work, but not really needed with sealed units! problem with OEM is they don't articulate enough, other than that they are fine.

Raybestos one's have a boot that isn't sealed and hasd grease fitting. Those are $45 from Rockauto

I also just bought parts to re-do my front Tierods as well, but I have a 4wd
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-included.html

Old 02-05-2014, 11:32 PM
timekop
Professional

I replaced with moog greasables. Even on my new u joints. If you grease them often, they should last a long time.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:46 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by timekop
I replaced with moog greasables. Even on my new u joints. If you grease them often, they should last a long time.

I do have moog, I do grease them regularly, and they have lasted well over 100K miles

Doing ball joints on a rust belt 4x4 is not much fun

Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Deerhunter90
Professional

Sounds like there worth it then. Grease them every oil change or every other oil change? Also going go do my shocks while I'm working on the truck (providing I have enough beer) anyone know a good shock to run on these trucks? I ocasionally tow 6,000lbs and tow a little 1200lbs camper 3 times a year rest of the time trucks empty and just a commuter. Been looking at kyb but haven't heard from anyone running them

Old 02-06-2014, 09:05 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Deerhunter90
Sounds like there worth it then. Grease them every oil change or every other oil change? Also going go do my shocks while I'm working on the truck (providing I have enough beer) anyone know a good shock to run on these trucks? I ocasionally tow 6,000lbs and tow a little 1200lbs camper 3 times a year rest of the time trucks empty and just a commuter. Been looking at kyb but haven't heard from anyone running them
You'll wanna just check them every oil change. They shouldn't need greasing unless your in rough areas regularly. I would say grease them e/o change unless you are an extended oil change guy?

KYB..ehh. Budget shock with limited control. If you want something with good road manners and you tow, go with Bilstein. They are fairly stiff for response and wont allow your truck to wander in the lanes but will still allow you to have control over some rougher terrain if needed. Rancho is a bit softer and more for off roading. Not a dedicated road shock.

I went with Moog tierods. Beefy and solid. Overall nice. I also ordered up the Balljoints(not installed yet)..again, solid and nice. What I did not like and actually returned were the Moog end links. Those things are not designed well. The boot barely covers the joint and is very very thin. So thin one of them was marred up during shipping. Would never last NY winters. I would suggest a diff brand end link if you were going to replace them.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Deerhunter90
Professional

I change the oil every 3500 miles so even running the royal purple I'm not an extended oil life changer. I'll look into the blisteins I'm not a super off-roader but do take the truck to the deer lease and the family farm and it gets a little rough and muddy. Good to know about the end links, what brand did you end up going with? I imagine they'd do alright in our texas winters, it's not even close to how bad you folks are getting it.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:49 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rancho 9000's are a decent shock also. and they're adjustable

Quick Reply: Moog front end parts