1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Electric fan??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 12:23 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Electric fan??

Searching the site doesn't find anything. Fan is too short a term for the engine to bother with? anyway After messing with the fan and shroud again I want to put in the electric I have ignored since I did not have to mess with the one on the WP. It put a hole in the rad putting it back on yesterday. I figure I'll save myself some gas money too. What I am looking for is anyone who has posted their build or instructions for how to wire one. I can't figure wiring out w/o help.

Old 05-05-2024, 06:53 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

OK found this
It helps.
So it looks like the real issue is; where does the temp sensor get mounted?
Can the existing coolant sensor system be spliced? That one wire sensor for the dash that I just replaced seems very small to splice into. I do not recall what the two wire sensor wires were like.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,224 Likes on 2,974 Posts

The two wire sensor operates at 5 volts, so, that's not gonna work. Mounting the temp switch is the fun part. Right before or after the thermostat is generally best, but, that would probably involve drilling/tapping a whole for it.... There any pipe plugs in the heads??? That's where Chevy liked to put 'em.

Old 05-05-2024, 08:50 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

I found this
Amazon Amazon
They come in several sizes. I figure it would go in the top hose from the Tstat to the rad. Now just need to win the lottery and stop breaking stuff. :/

Old 05-05-2024, 10:56 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 425 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I found this https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMW.../dp/B00860GIWU
They come in several sizes. I figure it would go in the top hose from the Tstat to the rad. Now just need to win the lottery and stop breaking stuff. :/
I keep telling myself it’s better than a car payment. Especially these days.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:40 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I put electric fans on mine (87) but I used dual 12 in spals due to the shorter front end. See here https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...s-upgrade.html

If I was you and had a 94, here is what I would do.
1. Use a fan off of a Ford Tauris, if you have room, and I believe you do on the 94..... I think, this is the one most use for conversions. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...ASZ%2FWxpidUUI

This is a 2 speed so you can set it up either on low or high or use both with 2 temp sensors and relays.

2. Basically, wiring is pretty simple.
For single speed
1. locate a place for a sensor. I have an Edelbrock intake, and had a pipe fitting beside the Thermostat that I used. The sensor, I can try to find the part no. for you, but it was a fan sensor from Napa, and I think it was from a 80's GM. Its single wire, so what it does is it goes closed when the temperature rises to the the set point of the sensor.
2. Use a standard relay. Run a fused battery power wire to the power common side of the relay.
Run a wire from the NO terminal to the positive side of the fan and ground the negative wire from the fan.
On the coil side of the relay, run a switched 12V positive wire to one side of the coil.
On the other side of the Coil, run a wire from that terminal to the temp. sensor.

Now, what will happen is, when running and the temperature rises and closes the temp. sensor, this will complete the ground, energizing the coil, in turn this will throw power from the battery common termina to the NO terminal causing the fan to run.
Its really that simple.

One other thing I really believe you need to add. Is a pressure switch on the condensor side of your AC. This is how I would recommend you do it.
1. Find a switch that closes on a rise in temperature. (I think around 200psi)
Adapt that to the high pressure port of your AC system. (personally, I cut my hoses and added ports in the line, but mine was all reworked due to leaks etc.)
In your case, I think you could get a fitting to go on the high pressure port, and then adapt that to fit your pressure switch.
Usually these are 2 wire switches. Run one wire to ground and the other to the temp. sensor terminal.

This will cause the fan to energize anytime the AC is on and builds pressure to the preset amount that the switch is set at. In my opinion, you really need this when converting for the AC at idle......

Lastly, if you go with a 2 speed fan, or dual fans, you basically double everything on the controls. IE 2 temp sensors, 2 relays,
I did this and installed a tee, in the lower radiator hose with a temp. sensor to bring on the second fan. Basically works like a 2 stage unit.

If I can answer any specifics for you, let me know, and I will try to get part numbers for you as well.

Oh, one last thing, The tauris fans are popular for swaps. They move lots of air...... but are thick. If its too thick, look at the Dodge Intrepid fans as well.

The following users liked this post:
onemore94dak (05-06-2024)
Old 05-06-2024, 09:53 AM
onemore94dak
Champion

Thank You 93 ragtop
As soon as I hit the lottery

Old 05-07-2024, 09:57 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
As soon as I hit the lottery

You can do it the way above for $150.00 or so............

Old 05-08-2024, 03:58 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

You can do it the way above for $150.00 or so............
Well I'm not going to whine, too much. I had something break that coincides with a decrease in my income, and it blew my budget. I may recoup some of it eventually.
Anyway I got the fan new in box, well I paid for it, today $55
I got a wiring kit with temp sensor (175-190) 30amp circuit breaker, 30 amp relay, and that neat hose fitting, that has been shipped for $35
So $90 for the fan set up.
I got a radiator on the way. Found it on close out and with shipping $93
Not as bad as I had feared and I hope the fan set up saves me gas.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:01 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Cant tell you if it will save gas, JMO it probably will not be enough to notice...... But I can tell you that my AC worked much better at idle then it did with the mech. fan!
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edit to add. The sensor (175-190) is too low for a 190 t-stat. That would be about right for a 160 T-stat.

Quick Reply: Electric fan??