2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 12:39 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I have own the truck for about a year and a half, so, I really don't know what its history is...... my guess is, the previous owner paid shops to do the work. (either that, or it simply didn't happen...... )

Lower latch was stuck. Spray some chems, wiggle door, spray some chems, wiggle door. Eventually, I had my wife hold the door handle, and I kicked the door open from inside. One good thump, and it popped open. Sprayed the lower latch THOROUGHLY with PB blaster to clean it up, and then hit it with some lithium grease, so, hopefully, it won't be an issue again.
My truck for plugs is grease on the threads lol I have the problem with my driver's side door latch will stick shut and when I go to code it it will just slam. It hot so hard it cracked where the bolts for the locks go. I think I need a new lock actuator or door switch to

Old 10-05-2018, 12:23 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have found the best lube to use on latches once freed with one of the above mentioned products is atv/dirt bike chain lube. It sticks around for a long time compared to normal penetrating lubes and tends not to collect as much dirt.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart
I have found the best lube to use on latches once freed with one of the above mentioned products is atv/dirt bike chain lube. It sticks around for a long time compared to normal penetrating lubes and tends not to collect as much dirt.
I actually have some of that........

So, the truck went in, and they were able to change nine of the spark plugs. Number 10 (cylinder 10) wouldn't come out. They hit it with some chems, and suggested I try it again in a few days. Spark plugs looked REALLY good, which was a major surprise, considering how crappy they looked on the outside..... There was one plug wire that was burnt pretty much in half, which is where my miss was coming from. What surprises me is, I never got a code for a misfire, and that cylinder had to be completely dead. Truck runs nice and smooth again.

Old 10-06-2018, 11:14 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I actually have some of that........

So, the truck went in, and they were able to change nine of the spark plugs. Number 10 (cylinder 10) wouldn't come out. They hit it with some chems, and suggested I try it again in a few days. Spark plugs looked REALLY good, which was a major surprise, considering how crappy they looked on the outside..... There was one plug wire that was burnt pretty much in half, which is where my miss was coming from. What surprises me is, I never got a code for a misfire, and that cylinder had to be completely dead. Truck runs nice and smooth again.
I'm glad it's running good, I hope you get the last plug changed.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:35 PM
lwiuff
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New $$$ New $$$ New $$$

New brakes at all 4 corners last month, new fuel pump last week, new Cat-back Magnaflow 3" muffler & SS pipe this week, New front U-Joints & fluids next week.

So far in the last 2 years, I have a new radiator, water pump, TCM, IMAP, Rotor, plugs & wires, transmission, exhaust, brakes, fuel pump, headlights & assorted crap. Still cheaper than a new rig!

Last edited by lwiuff; 10-12-2018 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 10-16-2018, 01:04 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Seafoamed the crap out of it yesterday. It's been almost a year and I noticed part throttle ping which it hasn't done in years. Used a whole bottle and it was pouring smoke and knocking when it was done. An hour later I smoked the whole neighborhood! Runs much smoother and quieter. Peppier too. Might do another treatment to really get it good.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:19 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

What I did to my truck today was drive it. I haven't had to do anything to it in a few months and it feels great. The PO had neglected alot of things, mostly steering, brakes, and suspension. Which gets costly on a lifted truck but that's all squared away for now.

Old 10-21-2018, 03:39 PM
lwiuff
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front axels pulled, new U-joints, new bearings, oil change, brake line flush. Was told I should start saving up for a new engine... Recommendations welcomed for 5.7L for '98 1500 4x4.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by lwiuff
Front axels pulled, new U-joints, new bearings, oil change, brake line flush. Was told I should start saving up for a new engine... Recommendations welcomed for 5.7L for '98 1500 4x4.
5.9 liter...... The 5.7 would be fun to get to work in your truck.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:55 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

5.9 liter...... The 5.7 would be fun to get to work in your truck.
To my knowledge there is only one I know of (he's on YouTube) and he said it wasn't hard just took a while with the wiring. Basically you use the factory computer to piggy back the information to the cluster

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?