2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010 | 08:38 PM
1997DodgeRam
Professional

well actually a couple days ago, but rolled over 150K on the way home from work. I figure I have driven every bit of 150k since the few times someone else have driven it are probably less miles than the odo is not counting after not being calibrates for 100k to the slightly over sized tires.

Old 12-03-2010 | 05:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, finally got it put back together and running after a four day ordeal doing water pump, timing set, and reseal of the front of the motor...... Whatta nightmare. I HATE working outside in winter.... spend more time thawing out than I do working on the truck....

Anyway, its back together, and it runs even BETTER than after I did the plenum fix. Guess the chain was sloppy enough that it was costing me some power. Took it for a ride, and WOW...... Much more pep, better throttle response, and better acceleration. I am likin' it.

However..... I am now back to the luke warm heater again. Before I cracked the system open, the heater could quite literally burn you out of the truck..... now.... no. Took it to the local pizza shop, and they have a STEEP hill there.... so, lined it up, but it in four wheel drive and walked the truck slowly up the hill. Sat there for about ten minutes...... didn't seem to make much difference.... Do I need to have the radiator cap open for this exercise?

Old 12-03-2010 | 07:36 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do I need to have the radiator cap open for this exercise?
Yes you do. The best thing to do is remove it when everything is cold, then drive to your hill and do the burp thing.

Old 12-03-2010 | 09:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Yes you do. The best thing to do is remove it when everything is cold, then drive to your hill and do the burp thing.
Ok, that explains a lot..... Will do that tomorrow then. I love an overly efficient heater. After all, heat is simply a by-product of driving, and therefore FREE. In this weather, I do intend to take as much advantage of that as possible.

Old 12-03-2010 | 10:48 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
or leave it at the half-**** position where it won't hold pressure.

Old 12-03-2010 | 11:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
or leave it at the half-**** position where it won't hold pressure.
Probably what I will have to do. Better than having to sit and wait for it to cool enough to pull the cap. (the engine gets toasty by the time I get to the hill. Unfortunately, it isn't too far from the cop shop, and I am SURE they are going to give me funny looks when I have my truck parked on the hill. Should be interesting.

Have to put more gas in the truck too..... with half a tank, all the gas runs to the back of the tank, and the low fuel light comes on........ Yes, it is STEEP.

Old 12-05-2010 | 12:30 AM
joshsbetterhalf
Professional

Drove through the snow flurries tonight...realized I can't see for crap at night. Really gotta do the lens restoration kit. Just afraid to mess them up even worse...

Old 12-05-2010 | 09:37 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion

worked on all it all day....had to dremel my brand new projectors, installed the hid's into them and fog projectors. got bumpers on and rims and tires

Old 12-05-2010 | 10:08 AM
mnewbolds
Veteran

Bought a new ignition switch, pulled everything out and it turned out to be the tumbler. The metal slot at the rear of the tumbler broke off. Made of Zinc... Go figure... So I replaced both. Now I need that keyless remote start Viper.

Old 12-05-2010 | 01:21 PM
dpgpaving

i have a 2002 ram 1500 5.9L, a few times when i start teh truck i would get a check engire light, code 340, (camshaft position sensor malfunction and code 1391)and after fueling up i couldnt get the truck running. after a little while it would fire right up and be fine. well recently i fueled up and it wouldnt start, at all. i can hear the fuel pump kick on. i changed the crankshaft position sensor and the coil. still nothing. I had a good camshaft position sensor (good when removed)that i replaced when i replaced the entire distributor because thats the error code i got 340. I dont know where to look next. a friend wants to put a scope on it to look at teh flywheel but he says he's never heard of the flywheel shattering without you being able to hear something being knocked around. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
when i put a meter on the end of the crankshaft position sensor it should read 2 volts ac but it doesnt read anything which makes no sense to me.

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?