2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 11:54 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Derick C.
Droped the tranny yesterday to replace the converter and front seal. Gonna go back in today.

Changing TC? What was happening?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Derick C.
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
Changing TC? What was happening?
The front seal was leaking so I decided while I have the tranny out I will upgrade the converter. Also before I built the 408 the trans temp was always around 150 to 170 towing, now with way more power it wants to run at 180 to 190 and as soon as I start up a hill she jumps up over 200. Gearing will be the next upgrade.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:43 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yesterday I put all the axles back in the front diff for winter, since I put in the 4.56 gears I have been running around without the shafts in the diff. I will be installing a part time kit very soon, spinning those shafts makes a big difference.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:21 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just dropped my column down inside and did not disconnect the shaft when I did mine. Figured it would be a little less work..
That was my original plan, but it's so cramped in my one car garage that I have to make all of the maneuvering room I can get and at that it's really not quite enough. Just now I'd kill for a big garage in which I could open both doors fully and not have to close them to go around, keep the toolbox near an open door, and have enough light that I'm not constantly dealing with a drop light that never stays where I put it.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:15 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
That was my original plan, but it's so cramped in my one car garage that I have to make all of the maneuvering room I can get and at that it's really not quite enough. Just now I'd kill for a big garage in which I could open both doors fully and not have to close them to go around, keep the toolbox near an open door, and have enough light that I'm not constantly dealing with a drop light that never stays where I put it.

I know what you mean about the space. Going to Austin for job interviews on Monday and have already started doing research for a house. A shop is a prerequisite. I would be having a fit if my garage was not an oversized 2 car garage. No way can I function witha one car garage...... When I lived south of A;bequerque, I had a four car garage and a separate 3 car shop. Loved that place! (used the shop for a gunshop...)

Old 10-13-2012, 03:58 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Yesterday I put all the axles back in the front diff for winter, since I put in the 4.56 gears I have been running around without the shafts in the diff. I will be installing a part time kit very soon, spinning those shafts makes a big difference.

What would you say your mileage difference is without the shafts in?

Old 10-13-2012, 04:15 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
What would you say your mileage difference is without the shafts in?
I will need a couple more tanks of gas to get the right numbers before I can compare the two. So best not to say until I get it right. I can say there is a lot more pedal used, I could tell right away that there is significant drag added turning those shafts and other associated parts.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:14 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

re-installed my front drive shaft today. hopefully it will snow soon! man i have the plowing itch like crazy! guess its from using my new plow only once last winter.

gonna be uninstalling my under drive crank pulley, for at least the winter. i netted about a 2 mpg increase through the summer. so it may be a mod i switch in/out through the seasons. havent decided yet on that though.

gotta get a new battery for our jeep, so i can have my 2nd battery back in my truck. kinda miss the quick starting capabilities that my truck had when both batteries were installed.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:26 PM
gdstock
Legend

Thanks to UNregistered User, bought a pair of PIAA 19614 Xtreme White Plus 9004 Headlamp Light Bulbs ($49.99 on 3-ebay).......Regular prices range form $85 to $90!!! Hope they imporve lighting.

Also working on rebuilding OD. Got the remaining parts I needed from shop in Abilene including extension case. SHould be running this evening...

Old 10-13-2012, 08:01 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks to UNregistered User, bought a pair of PIAA 19614 Xtreme White Plus 9004 Headlamp Light Bulbs

SHould be running this evening...
Just in time to check out those cool new lamps! I think you'll like 'em. I haven't had a chance yet to discover if adding the relay kit made mine any brighter -- after recommending them to you I popped the low beam in one of mine. A new pair is coming, but in the meantime I've got a weak old lamp in there looking yellow but keeping me legal.

[RANT]Totally unrelated but I gotta get this out before my head explodes: I hope the SOB who engineered an HVAC box fastener right smack in the middle of the firewall has got hemorrhoids the size of golf *****. I hope he gets fleas, ticks, crabs, head lice, and tapeworms. I hope his dog bites him twice a day for the rest of his idiot life, his old lady divorces him and takes everything, and his kids only come around when they want something. Freakin' jerk![/RANT]

Quick Reply: What Did You Do To Your 2ND GEN RAM Today?