Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:56 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jk360
3 quick questions....

1. can you use 91 when using the gas saver tune or is it made for 87 and id be wasting money?

2. when using either of the performance tunes, is it better to keep OD off or it doesnt matter?

3. when datalogging trying to find my 1/8 mile or 1/4 speeds, do i literally have to find a empty road and floor it from a complete stop - 1/8 or 1/4 mile as if i was actualy on the track?
1. The gas saving tune is a waste of time to begin with. Just stick to the 87 pt 91 tune.

2. OD will always save some gas by reducing RPMs so OD is your friend. Thata why you have two of them.

3. Yes, find a strain, lonely road, come to a complete stop and then put the pedal to the floor. How else will you get your fastest times?

Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 AM
jk360
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the response. im only asking about the mileage xs cause im going on a roard trip sunday to monday and will be doing a lot of highway driving so i want the best mpg i can. the OD thing i thought i read somewhere that keeping OD off in 91 tune changes there timing in the trans and you get more power. just clarifying. and the data logging i was 99% sure thats what i had to but just wanted to double check

Old 02-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

It won't hurt running 91 with the Mileage XS tune if you need to but it is not necessary. Just because some have not had favorable results does not mean that you will not see some improvement yourself.

Most using this option who have complained that they saw nothing expect the tuning to do everything by itself and that their right foot has nothing to do with it.

The most important factor that most over look when using the Mileage XS option is that in order for it to work properly users have to retrain themselves and their right foot to drive in more moderation and stick with that mentality.

Scott

Old 02-05-2010, 11:09 AM
jk360
Veteran

yeah im gonna try mileage xs today with 87 and if i dont see a difference ill try 87 perf and see how that is. i have about 6 hours of highway driving sun-monday so i wanna use the least amount of fuel as possible.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:21 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Scott, I agree with you there man. I know I drive hard and fast but thats what I bought big v8 for. If I wanted a big truck with good mileage I would have gotten the v6.

But on another note, I never not once have seen SC give any charts or numbers on how XS works or how much it can help.

Dont take this the wrong way because I loved my 3865, but anyone can save gas by easing up off the gas pedal and keeping the RPMs down. But how does XS add help to that for an overall achievement?

Old 02-05-2010, 01:45 PM
topcop38
Professional

has anyone on here used the SC3865 on an '07 4.7? i saw someone used it on the '08 4.7 but that's already about 50hp more than mine out of the box. if i knew it would help me i'd buy it right now. and what is that i read about using a matc10 code or something to get a better price? my truck will only hit 5th gear if i'm going downhill or on a flat road. any uphill grade at all and it goes to 4th, usually 3rd if there is any kind of a grade. it seems like the difference between 4th and 5th is minimal, at least when downshifting.

if i can get that little extra power to be able to use 5th more and maybe gain 1 MPG then i'll buy it. also, what has everyone figured out for tire size on the 20" stock wheels (thunder road package)?

Old 02-05-2010, 01:52 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run it on my 04 4.7l and i have flower pedal 20's and i love mine....i run the 91 tune on 93 octane....i have a few other mods too but the s/c is by far the best one....until i do a tq or 08 intake manifold....lol

Old 02-06-2010, 04:55 PM
topcop38
Professional

anyone else? are my expectations too high?

Old 02-06-2010, 05:11 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its definatley not gonna make it a 350z or a skyline...or a 71 chevelle boosting 770hp....but youll like it man i love mine....

Old 02-07-2010, 12:40 AM
ramjamhemi
Professional

Originally Posted by Scott@Superchips
It won't hurt running 91 with the Mileage XS tune if you need to but it is not necessary. Just because some have not had favorable results does not mean that you will not see some improvement yourself.

Most using this option who have complained that they saw nothing expect the tuning to do everything by itself and that their right foot has nothing to do with it.

The most important factor that most over look when using the Mileage XS option is that in order for it to work properly users have to retrain themselves and their right foot to drive in more moderation and stick with that mentality.

Scott
I agree. Different tunes, changes to timing advance, using different octane fuels, etc... do have an effect on fuel consumption, but IMHO I believe the biggest factor is your driving style. For the most part, I take it easy, use the 89 octane tune, and try to get the highest mileage I can. When I hear other forum members state that they get better gas mileage using the towing or 91 octane tune, I gave it at try. I found my mileage went down. The reason I believe other members mileage went up is possibly because they have a heavier foot, lower mpg to start with, and the additional power helps mpg in those cases. Because I can get around 19-19.5 with summer grade gas with a little in town, and mostly freeway driving, the benefits of the performance tunes brought my mpg down. For someone getting say, 14 mpg average, the additional power that happens lower in the power band might net them an additional 1 mpg or more. You just have to look closely at details of driving habits, and road conditions to determine the best choice of tune for mpg gains.

I discovered that if I plug the Super Chips in and run data logging while driving (specifically to show % throttle), that if I accelerate from a stop light and keep the throttle around 18-20%, coast long before getting to the next light, and keep the freeway speed to around 58mph, and I get around 19 mpg in the Phoenix summer. Your result may vary! I think it is more of a challenge that anything to try to keep the mpg's up. I do unleash the Hemi every once and awhile, but once again this is a big truck. If I wanted to tear-*** around town, I would have kept my 70' Camaro for that job, as it was much better at it.

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates