Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Armyguy11B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok guys I just got my 3865 and got the tranny tune upgrade.. IM kinda dumb when it comes to this stuff... I looked at the graphs and have no idea what to change my shifts too... can anyone just tell me what to increase or decrease my shift points too?? from what i can tell i was leaning towards marks or matts shift setup for the 07 with a hemi... thanks in advance..

Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by Armyguy11B
ok guys I just got my 3865 and got the tranny tune upgrade.. IM kinda dumb when it comes to this stuff... I looked at the graphs and have no idea what to change my shifts too... can anyone just tell me what to increase or decrease my shift points too?? from what i can tell i was leaning towards marks or matts shift setup for the 07 with a hemi... thanks in advance..
Grab one of the 07 or 08 shift schedules on www.mcfail.net/superchips and also read the FAQ to get a feel of what you'll need to do.

Take the time to log your TP% values and set points for your stock values. It will be a good tool to go back and review.

Edit the shift schedule and update your TP% values if they are different. Then enter the closest set point you have and the graphs will update automatically. See FAQ for additional info.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Armyguy11B

Originally Posted by MDSBigPaPa
Grab one of the 07 or 08 shift schedules on www.mcfail.net/superchips and also read the FAQ to get a feel of what you'll need to do.

Take the time to log your TP% values and set points for your stock values. It will be a good tool to go back and review.

Edit the shift schedule and update your TP% values if they are different. Then enter the closest set point you have and the graphs will update automatically. See FAQ for additional info.
Ok im still a little confused... but I put in the mph for each shift point off the chart I used.. Now what do I to for TQ settings? is it better to run like 80% or like 20%?? thanks for all the help.. I came from a cummins and the tuners did the stuff for you already lol...

Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Ok im still a little confused... but I put in the mph for each shift point off the chart I used.. Now what do I to for TQ settings? is it better to run like 80% or like 20%?? thanks for all the help.. I came from a cummins and the tuners did the stuff for you already lol...
Torque Management is nothing more than reducing engine load while making a shift. The lower the % value the less engine load reduction there will be in the shift. As the FAQ says, it is NOT good to set TM to 0% because some reduction in engine load will make the shift quicker.

I have my WOT set to 10% for 1, 2, 2P, and 3 and 30% for 4 and part shift set to 8.8% for 1, 2, 2P and 3 and 30% for 4.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Armyguy11B

Originally Posted by MDSBigPaPa
Torque Management is nothing more than reducing engine load while making a shift. The lower the % value the less engine load reduction there will be in the shift. As the FAQ says, it is NOT good to set TM to 0% because some reduction in engine load will make the shift quicker.

I have my WOT set to 10% for 1, 2, 2P, and 3 and 30% for 4 and part shift set to 8.8% for 1, 2, 2P and 3 and 30% for 4.

Cool man, I got it figured out!! I know the 0% was bad but I wasnt sure what the magic number was to run... Right now I got mine set at 24% across the board.. I just gotta figure out what the more aggressive shift schedule is.. But either way the tranny updates unleash a whole new beast in the truck!! thanks for all the help..

Old 08-26-2010, 11:32 AM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Cool man, I got it figured out!! I know the 0% was bad but I wasnt sure what the magic number was to run... Right now I got mine set at 24% across the board.. I just gotta figure out what the more aggressive shift schedule is.. But either way the tranny updates unleash a whole new beast in the truck!! thanks for all the help..
You're welcome! An aggressive schedule will have shifts that are more linear (straight line). Here's a look at an older shift schedule of mine. Notice the shifts 1Up - 2Dn (black and brown) and 2Up - 3Dn (yellow and blue), these are more aggressive than say 4Up - 5Dn. Also keep in mind, the closer the shift pair are to each other, the quicker the downshift will be. What you have to be careful about is getting them to close together or crossing them as you'll end up with an up-down, up-down,... shift.

Name:  ShiftSchedule-9.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  38.6 KB

Here's what Stock looks like. Again notice the lag between shift pairs - 1Up & 2Dn, 2Up & 3Dn, 3Up & 4Dn, and 4Up & 5Dn.

Name:  StockShifts.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  32.8 KB

BTW - I was 11B when I was first drafted in 1971 but when I got to Alaska, the CSM in charge of Personnel asked if I wanted to go into accounting - of course I said yes. Thanks for your service!
Name:  soldier009.gif
Views: 51
Size:  40.5 KB

Old 08-26-2010, 03:57 PM
bikerglasses

just bought a 3865 off a forum member.

Few questions before I install it.

I get my oil change done at the dealership--they do it free for as long as I own the truck. Should I return it to stock each time I take it to the dealer for a oil change?

Is there anything I should be aware of before installing? I normally fill up with 87, but will do the 91 tune and start filling up with 91. Should I wait to empty, or can do half tank 91 and still do the tune?

Is there a FAQ I should read?

That's it for now.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:27 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by bikerglasses
just bought a 3865 off a forum member.

Few questions before I install it.

I get my oil change done at the dealership--they do it free for as long as I own the truck. Should I return it to stock each time I take it to the dealer for a oil change?
I believe the dealer is required to check for updates to the PCM every time the vehicle is brought into the shop so, it would be a good idea to return to stock each time as you'll never know when they'll update the PCM.

Is there anything I should be aware of before installing? I normally fill up with 87, but will do the 91 tune and start filling up with 91. Should I wait to empty, or can do half tank 91 and still do the tune?
Yes, run out the 87 before tuning to 91. If you have 93 available, you could put a half tank of 93 on top of the 87 and get away with that.

Is there a FAQ I should read?

That's it for now.
FAQ is found here: www.mcfail.net/superchips

Old 08-26-2010, 09:38 PM
bikerglasses

Does the superchips allow you to skid out now? I couldn't skid out unless I was on dirt or it was raining...

Does the 91 tune mess with the MPG at all? I've been getting 13mpg around town...

Old 08-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Armyguy11B

Ok I took my truck into the dealer to get new keys and some other stuff they promised me. I put it back to stock before taking it in. When I reloaded my tunes it didn't put the tranny tunes back on. I tried setting the shift schedule, but the numbers don't match at all, the stock shifts aren't even the same. I updated the tuner and still no fix. Stock shift on your chart says 11.53 and mine is 12.17. I tried getting the numbers close but by the end they are off pretty bad, what should I do? I even put the stock tune on it and then tried adjusting the tranny but my start number is still 12.17 instead of 11.53 and I cant get any of the numbers to match..

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates