Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, your schedules will be retained until you physically alter or erase them.

Scott

Originally Posted by m3summ
Hey guys, I currently run the 87 tune with my own custom shift schedule. If I change it to tow mode to tow my boat home tom. will I have to re-enter my shift schedule when I go back to it? Also my boat weighs 3700lbs. plus my tandem trailer. I filled up with 89 octance will I be ok just switching it to tow mode and rolling? Thanks

Old 11-03-2010, 11:31 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys, I currently run the 87 tune with my own custom shift schedule. If I change it to tow mode to tow my boat home tom. will I have to re-enter my shift schedule when I go back to it? Also my boat weighs 3700lbs. plus my tandem trailer. I filled up with 89 octance will I be ok just switching it to tow mode and rolling? Thanks

FYI, I run the 91octane tune only. I pour in 93octane gas only. I have towed about 5kmi around town and highway with my 91tune and have had zero troubles. 3 of the 5k were with the updated software(i.e.trans and TM option) The loads I towed were ALL between 5,000lbs-8,000lbs. My truck is only used to tow, so every bit of the 5kmi my truck was pulling a weighted down trailer.
It's clear to me there is plenty of room for timing advance within the tune before detonation will occur. Maybe this is because I use 93oct or a mixture of the "leiad back" 91 tune as well as my use of 93oct.
I do have my shift points raised and up/downshifts altered for less loading on the engine which makes a difference as well. if you dont have the advance trans tuning i would reccomend switching the tunes out. They just take sooooooo long to upload and it's not worth it for me.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:34 PM
glass3222
Captain
Default Superchips VIVID

For all of you superchips fans, here is some info on the new product they just released at SEMA: (this is from superchips.com)

Superchips, Inc., the industry leading aftermarket tuning company, today unveiled the Superchips VIVID vehicle performance programmer at the 2010 SEMA Show in Las Vegas, NV.

The new in-cabin device includes a Bluetooth-enabled vehicle interface module coupled with the new ARCHOSTM 4.3” internet tablet powered by the Android 2.2 operating system.

The state-of-the-art Superchips Vivid is the first device of its type to successfully integrate today’s popular personal electronics with a full-featured performance tuning solution. The key is the combination of Superchips’ tuning features and the Android operating system opening up a whole new world of possibilities. With the addition of a few inexpensive accessories, the Superchips VIVID will work as a GPS unit, backup camera monitor and much more.

“Just about a year ago, we recognized a technology convergence and made a commitment to bring the flexibility of Android to the automotive aftermarket industry,” said Tom Bennett, division president for Superchips. “The Superchips VIVID is the first truly integrated performance device that delivers vehicle performance, power, information and entertainment. We’re taking a huge leap forward incorporating Superchips’ tuning in an exceptional touch screen LCD delivering a user experience beyond anything available in the market today.”

The LCD hardware supply partner was another key to making this happen. ARCHOS, innovators in portable personal entertainment, was the best choice for the next generation of tuning products. Bennett noted, “VIVID delivers tuning, gauges, diagnostics, web connectivity, data acquisition, and entertainment in one platform. The user experience has to meet extremely high consumer expectations and that’s why ARCHOS was selected as the preferred LCD partner. There is nothing else in the tuning market with the Superchips VIVID’s capabilities.”

The Superchips VIVID comes with a Bluetooth-enabled OBD-II module, a.k.a. dongle, connecting the LCD to the vehicle allowing the user to tune for additional horsepower, torque or fuel economy. The dongle also makes it possible to use any of the pre-installed Superchips automotive apps, set advanced tuning features, and monitor internal engine parameters and display them in real time using the gauge suite. The Superchips VIVID automatically recognizes your vehicle and will only show the features and options available to you.

Derek Catterfeld, new product development lead for Superchips added, “We designed the Superchips VIVID to leverage the Android Operating System’s innovation for an automotive application -- to enable you to do even more with your car, truck or Jeep. We are breaking down barriers so that consumers can experience automotive performance tuning and monitoring the way it was meant to be, while enjoying the vast entertainment and software application benefits of the Android Operating System.”

Superchips VIVID is the most powerful device in the industry with a 1GHz processor and does more than tuning including high-speed web browsing; e-mail; social media integration; wireless connectivity; loads of memory; apps for pictures, music and video along with a host of unique Superchips apps such as Performance Tuning, Gauge Set, Maintenance Minder, Driving Coach, Inclinometer and G-Force Meter.

Superchips VIVID LCD is an industry leading 4.3-inch high-resolution screen for viewing gauges in clear detail, viewing videos or watching your favorite movie. The music and video capabilities let customers enjoy their favorite songs or capture spontaneous fun. The device combines a camera, HD camcorder, as well as HDMI connectivity to download, stream and share personal content online via Facebook, YouTube, Picasa or Flickr or just enjoy them at home on your TV.

Pricing and Availability Superchips VIVID will be available through local and chain automotive stores as well as through online retailers in spring 2011. Customers can also opt for the Superchips AVID which will be available in summer 2011. The Superchips AVID is a stand-alone dongle and software suite that installs on third-party Android devices including smart phones and web tablets.

Android and Google are trademarks of Google, Inc. All brands and product names are registered trademarks and the property of their respective owners.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:19 PM
nateroach
Veteran

Say WHAAAAT?? this sounds killer. If SC would couple this with custom tunes.... Game over

this is the android device that they list as the host

nateroach

Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 PM
m3summ
Rookie

Originally Posted by dirtydog
FYI, I run the 91octane tune only. I pour in 93octane gas only. I have towed about 5kmi around town and highway with my 91tune and have had zero troubles. 3 of the 5k were with the updated software(i.e.trans and TM option) The loads I towed were ALL between 5,000lbs-8,000lbs. My truck is only used to tow, so every bit of the 5kmi my truck was pulling a weighted down trailer.
It's clear to me there is plenty of room for timing advance within the tune before detonation will occur. Maybe this is because I use 93oct or a mixture of the "leiad back" 91 tune as well as my use of 93oct.
I do have my shift points raised and up/downshifts altered for less loading on the engine which makes a difference as well. if you dont have the advance trans tuning i would reccomend switching the tunes out. They just take sooooooo long to upload and it's not worth it for me.
thanks for the replies guys. I ended up not towing the boat because as I pulled out of the ramp, I snapped an axle on the tandem trailer.. I know it was a very bad day. ha. I actually set it back to the superchips trns scedule and tried out the mileage xs program. I think im getting worse gas mileage now, avg. 14-15mpg. Before I was using the 87 tune with an aggressive shift schedule and was somewhere around 16mpg mixed driving. what gives?

Old 11-06-2010, 02:50 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

thanks for the replies guys. I ended up not towing the boat because as I pulled out of the ramp, I snapped an axle on the tandem trailer.. I know it was a very bad day. ha. I actually set it back to the superchips trns scedule and tried out the mileage xs program. I think im getting worse gas mileage now, avg. 14-15mpg. Before I was using the 87 tune with an aggressive shift schedule and was somewhere around 16mpg mixed driving. what gives?

I've found I get better mileage with 91 Perf tune and 93 Octane (91 is hard to find here). This combination, I believe, makes the engine work less to get the power to the road thus saving fuel. However, you have to overcome the temptation to plant your right foot.

With Mileage XS you have to retrain your foot and driving habits. Think of it like placing an egg between your foot and the gas pedal and the same with the brake pedal - back off sooner more coasting and less brake pressure.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:01 PM
mike_dmt
Rookie
Default Superchips question..

Can anyone tell me the difference between a 3714 and 3715? I have an 03 with a 5.7 Hemi, and it looks like either will work. Are the tunes different? And can I calibrate the speedo for oversize tires with either?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:04 PM
HemiDak-Quad
Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know there's probably an answer to this question somewhere here already,but I don't have time to read through these pages to find it,maybe someone can help me.
I put a 2004 Hemi Motor and transmission in my 2001 Dakota,but I used a 2003 wiring harness and computers.ECM + TCM. I listened to the man who sold me the Motor and Trans.when he told me it was a 2003.
I want to put a super-chip, or Bully-Dog computer programmer, "OR SOMETHING" in my Dakota..I'm running stock Exhaust manifolds, But no cat-converters,and basically a straight through exhaust,and Cold air intake.I know no-one offers much for the 2003 Hemi But can I get a 2004 chip or something and make it work,or would I have to change my computers and wires over to 2004..Any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
AND- I was wondering if any one knows if a 6.1 Hemi-exhaust manifold will fit a 5.7 Hemi Motor...I think that would help get better mpg-and improve horses..Any input ?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:01 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by HemiDak-Quad
I know there's probably an answer to this question somewhere here already,but I don't have time to read through these pages to find it,maybe someone can help me.
I put a 2004 Hemi Motor and transmission in my 2001 Dakota,but I used a 2003 wiring harness and computers.ECM + TCM. I listened to the man who sold me the Motor and Trans.when he told me it was a 2003.
I want to put a super-chip, or Bully-Dog computer programmer, "OR SOMETHING" in my Dakota..I'm running stock Exhaust manifolds, But no cat-converters,and basically a straight through exhaust,and Cold air intake.I know no-one offers much for the 2003 Hemi But can I get a 2004 chip or something and make it work,or would I have to change my computers and wires over to 2004..Any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
AND- I was wondering if any one knows if a 6.1 Hemi-exhaust manifold will fit a 5.7 Hemi Motor...I think that would help get better mpg-and improve horses..Any input ?
Disclaimer: I'm no mechanic nor am I an expert on "chips" (But, I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last year LOL).

If you stay with the '03 TCM & PCM then the older Superchips 3815 "should" work to get you better HP and rear wheel torque. If you were to change out the '03 TCM & PCM for the '04 then you might want the Superchips 3865 as it will "should" you to upgrade to the Advanced Trans Option. I say "should" because I don't know if *swapping* PCMs is the same as an original???

Old 11-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

If you aren't staying emissions legal and did not retain all of the wiring from the host vehicle then you will more than likely have issues with the product trying to tune your project.

I have only rarely seen something like this work and it was because the vehicle receiving the transfusion used every piece of the host vehicle including body control, etc...

Just trying to save you some headaches.

Scott

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates