Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:31 PM
neil300zx
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott@Superchips
Have you used the Mileage tune prior to this incident? I could only guess at an issue without someone in tech looking at the files.

What I would do is try it once more to determine if it was a fluke in the transfer or not. If you get the same results return to Tow or stock and email customer service at tech@superchips.com for assistance. In the email include your tuner SN along with your contact info to reach you.

Scott
Hi Scott
It was the first time that i had used the mileage program, when i get 5 mins i will change back to mileage and take it for a spin and let you know, this time i will write down any codes as well.

Cheers

Neil

Old 04-11-2011, 04:44 PM
ramjamhemi
Professional

Originally Posted by glenlivet
But this does not explain why the changes in spark timing and fuel maps necessary to properly burn the high octane gas, should be capable of creating any more power from running it, since unlike diesel fuel there is no more energy to be released from burning high octane pump gas than there is from burning lower octane regular grade gas.

Any number of information sources accessed through an internet search using prompts such as 'gasoline' and 'octane', repeat the same information: that higher octane gasoline simply burns at a slower rate and is less prone to knock than lower octane rated gasoline. It isn't 'better' or more powerful gas. Admittedly the high octane gas contains more proprietary additives than they put in their regular grade of gas, the nature and amount depending on the petroleum company marketing it. (The gas companies put these additives into the gasoline after it has been refined and once it has been earmarked for sale in their particular branded outlets. The additives certainly don't add any power producing capability to the gas.)

Whether spark and fuel tables are optimized for 87 or optimized for 94, the motors output should be pretty much equal. Optimized is optimized and the hardware (cam timing, valve sizes, exhaust and intake port sizes...) is unchanged.

So I still have to ask: How does the SuperChip extract more power from the same engine that is now optimized for and running high octane gas? What's the operating theory? Are there independant dyno tests?
Thanks.
A extremely simplified/layman's description:

advancing ignition timing is tied to the concept of allowing the maximum compression pressure to build in the cylinder while keeping the engine out of pre-ignition (knock/detonation). Higher octance fuel theoretically (and actually in most cases) allows for higher cylinder pressure before detonation. More pressure = more work done shoving the pistion down the cylinder = more hp.

The same concept of higher cylinder pressure = more hp applies by milling a head to increase compression ratio/ swapping to a different head/ changes in cam cam/timing to allow the pressure to build longer, domed pistions, etc...

I remember trying to explain this to my son why higher pressure means more work, and here is the example I used. If I were to spray you in the eye with the blow off nizzle on my air compressor, would you rather it be 10 psi or 120 psi.....?

There are hundreds/thousands of pages of text on theoritical and actual workings explaining IC Engines (Internal Combustion Engines) on the internet and in books if you want to dive in beyond my simplified explination.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:41 PM
KDSR

I know that there is no transmission support for the 02 4.7L ram, but will running any of the preset tunes that come with the flashpaq firm up my shifts? If not, is there anything out there that will allow me to adjust my shifts for a 2002 4.7L magnum?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 AM
trooper27
Default Engine noise with new tune

I just recently purchased a superchips tuner and of course tuned my truck with it. I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 and did the performance 91 quik tune. When I did the tune, I had less than 1/8 tank of 87 octane in the tank. I put some octane booster in and later added about half a tank of 91 octane.

My question is when I am accelerating, the engine sounds like I have an aftermarket duel exhaust on it, however the exhaust is stock. I also hear a slight clicking noise. When idleing the engine sounds fine and like I said before I only notice it under acceleration.

I was just wondering if this is normal or should I be looking for a problem? I dont really know to much about the knock sensor, but does that sound like something a knock sensor would do?

Old 04-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

[Qooper27;2484110]

My question is when I am accelerating, the engine sounds like I have an aftermarket duel exhaust on it, however the exhaust is stock. I also hear a slight clicking noise. When idleing the engine sounds fine and like I said before I only notice it under acceleration.

I was just wondering if this is normal or should I be looking for a problem? I dont really know to much about the knock sensor, but does that sound like something a knock sensor would do?[/QUOTE]

Noise under acceleration is never a good thing, I'd set it back to stock and see if it goes away. As far as the exhaust, that's pretty subjective, I guess with the advanced timing you could notice some change in the exhaust note, but I wouldn't think that much. Are you sure you're just not listening harder? :-)

Old 04-20-2011, 06:19 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by trooper27
I just recently purchased a superchips tuner and of course tuned my truck with it. I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 and did the performance 91 quik tune. When I did the tune, I had less than 1/8 tank of 87 octane in the tank. I put some octane booster in and later added about half a tank of 91 octane.

I was just wondering if this is normal or should I be looking for a problem? I dont really know to much about the knock sensor, but does that sound like something a knock sensor would do?
Overuse of octane booster is not recommended as it may damage the O2 sensors.

Fill the tank with 91 and tune to 91 to see if the noise continues. If it does, fill up with 93 and see if it goes away. If not, you may want to post a question on the Superchips.com forums. They may want to calibrators to check the tune for your calibrations.

On my '07 2500HD, I have a Flowmaster 70 Series muffler and have removed the rear resonator. I can definitely hear a change in the sound when my engine is tuned. Much better sound.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:08 PM
trooper27

Not to sound obvious, but every truck has acceleration noise even stock. It just sounds like that acceleration noise is enhanced by the tune. Again I just wanted to make sure this is partially normal before I install my Magnaflow duel exhaust on Friday. Who knows, maybe I am just listening harder, but it is hard not to notice the sound that could only be descibed as raw power when I accelerate... Im not complaining....I just dont want my engine to blow up if thats something its not suppose to do.
I will burn off this tank of fuel then fill it again with 91. I dont have 93 available to me. 91 is as high as they go.

Thanks

Old 04-24-2011, 06:17 PM
davidonmars
Professional

i'm going to buy a used SC 3865 and the guy said he only used it to adjust tire size and still has the truck. What needs to be done so that I can use this on my truck and what steps do we need to do?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Rich 2500
Veteran

Even though he only used it for the tire size I think the unit is still VIN locked, the only way you can use it, is for him to un-install it.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM
davidonmars
Professional

how does he uninstall it

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates