Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Kenbo21
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. It has the 5.7 L Hemi and I am looking for a programmer. I was looking at the Superchips Cortex. My truck has CAI, Exhaust and headers. So my questions are

1.) Can I rung 87 octane. I can get 87,89,91 some places and 93 or should I just run the highest with this system.

2.) What kind of gains should I really see? I only want it for performance and MPG. I dont plan on towing much so thats not a problem. I have no idea what I am doing with these programmers. Is it just plug and play really? I plug it into OBD and answer a couple questions and Im good to go?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Originally Posted by Kenbo21
I just got a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500. It has the 5.7 L Hemi and I am looking for a programmer. I was looking at the Superchips Cortex. My truck has CAI, Exhaust and headers. So my questions are

1.) Can I rung 87 octane. I can get 87,89,91 some places and 93 or should I just run the highest with this system.

2.) What kind of gains should I really see? I only want it for performance and MPG. I dont plan on towing much so thats not a problem. I have no idea what I am doing with these programmers. Is it just plug and play really? I plug it into OBD and answer a couple questions and Im good to go?
There are tunes for both 87 and 91octane (which you can run 93 on) so its your choice. I run the 91 tune with 93 fuel and it was a huge difference performance wise. I'm also in an 04. Once you update it its pretty much plug and play. Choose the tune you want, set tire size, set the rpm you want for wot shifts, turn up rev and speed limiters and you're good to go.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Kenbo21
Amateur

Originally Posted by Dead2Fall
There are tunes for both 87 and 91octane (which you can run 93 on) so its your choice. I run the 91 tune with 93 fuel and it was a huge difference performance wise. I'm also in an 04. Once you update it its pretty much plug and play. Choose the tune you want, set tire size, set the rpm you want for wot shifts, turn up rev and speed limiters and you're good to go.
Ya thats what I read about the tunes for both octane. But thanks for clearling it up for me. Thanks for the reply. I am only finding it for $370-390 is there anywhere else to get it cheaper? I want it brand new tho. Let me know.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

I got a flashpaq, 339 with free overnight shipping off ebay. Supposedly pep boys has them for 299. only difference is the cortex offers 2 year limited powertrain warranty.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:01 PM
itshemitime
Amateur

Just bought a new cortex 3950. Had been reading about the advanced tranny tuning feater on the forums that you have to pay 40 dollars for. However after installing my 91 perf tune and scrolling around inside of the tuner it appears to already have it. It gives me the option to change my shift schedules torque management schedules and many others. It allows me to change all of the gears up and down. So does the new cortex tuner come with the advanced tranny tune already? Or am I mistaking what im seeing?

Old 03-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Originally Posted by itshemitime
Just bought a new cortex 3950. Had been reading about the advanced tranny tuning feater on the forums that you have to pay 40 dollars for. However after installing my 91 perf tune and scrolling around inside of the tuner it appears to already have it. It gives me the option to change my shift schedules torque management schedules and many others. It allows me to change all of the gears up and down. So does the new cortex tuner come with the advanced tranny tune already? Or am I mistaking what im seeing?
Not sure, maybe it does? Can you apply those settings? I know i can access them and see them on the flashpaq but i cannot change them. It's like they're locked and require a $40 key lol.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:07 PM
itshemitime
Amateur

I stand corrected. I just printed off one of sils shift schedules to try it out and when i tried to modify the shift schedule it told me to switch to user shift schedule. User shift schedule isnt in the tuner only SC and stock. So im assuming once you purchase it then the user schedule becomes available.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:11 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

Originally Posted by itshemitime
You'll only have access to Stock or Superchips. You'll have to upgrade to the application to get User access. If you want the truck to drive like never before, this program is the best $40 you will ever spend on your truck. I've never had a person who's loaded a custom schedule not say that. If you decide to upgrade, make sure the tuner is is locked (tuned) to the truck. Then upgrade.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain

I need a good schedule, I loaded Erics schedule and it seems a little off. I left tm @ 20% maybe thats it I dunno.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 PM
SilsHemi
All Star

Originally Posted by Dead2Fall
I need a good schedule, I loaded Erics schedule and it seems a little off. I left tm @ 20% maybe thats it I dunno.
A little off? How so? Did you re-check all the MPH values you entered, for all up/down shifts?

Set TM at 8%.

If everything is set correctly, you should feel a big difference at part throttle. Downshifts should hold a little longer and throttle response should be much better.

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates