Superchips Questions and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Gasturbine
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont plan on loading any performance mods. Im an older guy, and it runs just fine on the recommended 89 octane for me.

I bought the SC because I didnt want to give the dealership $80 for 2 minutes of work to change tire size.

Besides, Im into longevity as opposed to higher performance. I even pulled the (3000#) boat with it on Saturday, and with the "tow/haul" switch on, it did fine. Of course, it is pretty flat where I live.

Regards,
-Chris

Old 06-01-2010, 05:35 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by Gasturbine
I dont plan on loading any performance mods. Im an older guy, and it runs just fine on the recommended 89 octane for me.

I bought the SC because I didnt want to give the dealership $80 for 2 minutes of work to change tire size.

Besides, Im into longevity as opposed to higher performance. I even pulled the (3000#) boat with it on Saturday, and with the "tow/haul" switch on, it did fine. Of course, it is pretty flat where I live.

Regards,
-Chris

Chris, I thought I was happy with my moose but I wanted it to breathe a little better so I added the APM RAMair hood with Ram Airbox (also a good visual) and a Flowmaster 70 series muffler. I then bought a Flashpaq 3815 and it woke up the beast within the Hemi. I was then fortunate enough to be asked to beta test the Advanced Trans Tune Option and now it shifts like I want it to. I'll turn 60 in August but I'm like a teenager again in my truck. My Grandboys are always asking me, "PaPa, spin the tires!" or, "Vroom it to 4, PaPa" (4000 RPM in 1st gear.) Age doesn't mean you can't have a little fun!

Old 06-01-2010, 06:49 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so for my 06 Hemi truck, should I go with a Flashpaq or Cortex?? According to Superchips website the only difference is the warranty. Also, I never thought about it, but I found a used Flashpaq for sale and they said it is VIN unlocked as he returned the stock program. Anyone hear anything like this? They provided a pic showing that they returned stock program, but would it be safe to buy this and be able to use it?

Old 06-01-2010, 08:57 PM
MDSBigPaPa
Veteran

Originally Posted by HemiMoparGuy1981
Ok, so for my 06 Hemi truck, should I go with a Flashpaq or Cortex?? According to Superchips website the only difference is the warranty. Also, I never thought about it, but I found a used Flashpaq for sale and they said it is VIN unlocked as he returned the stock program. Anyone hear anything like this? They provided a pic showing that they returned stock program, but would it be safe to buy this and be able to use it?
Is the used tuner a 3815 or 3865? Also, check the FAQ for differences between Cortex and Flashpaq.

First: If you're comfortable NOT getting the new Trans Options then the 3815 will serve you well.

Second: Be sure the tuner is NOT VIN locked to the owner's truck. If it is, it will cost you an additional $100 to get it unlocked.

Third: Ensure it is NOT stolen. Ask the seller for the serial number - on the back of the unit - then call SC at 1-888-227-2447 and ask then to check their stolen database. If it IS *reported* stolen, you will have an expensive paperweight. If the seller refuses to give you the serial number, walk away from the sale.

Finally: NEVER wire money to the seller. Ensure you can get your money back if the unit fails to meet your expectations.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Gasturbine
Professional

Originally Posted by MDSBigPaPa
Chris, I thought I was happy with my moose but I wanted it to breathe a little better so I added the APM RAMair hood with Ram Airbox (also a good visual) and a Flowmaster 70 series muffler. I then bought a Flashpaq 3815 and it woke up the beast within the Hemi. I was then fortunate enough to be asked to beta test the Advanced Trans Tune Option and now it shifts like I want it to.
Sounds good Papa, but the harder an engine and trans works, the less they will last. And that might be fine for some folks...I take that route with our boat engines we build, but this is more of a work truck. In fact, after towing the boat, I might look into de-tuning it.

I'll turn 60 in August but I'm like a teenager again in my truck.
Good for you! Ill be 49 next month, and hope I have your spry at 60.

My Grandboys are always asking me, "PaPa, spin the tires!" or, "Vroom it to 4, PaPa" (4000 RPM in 1st gear.) Age doesn't mean you can't have a little fun!
Oh I have fun. I have many hobbies, like I said building high performance boats/engines, 1/5th scale RC modeling, ham radio, chess, and harassing my grown daughters.

How about 1300hp and 145 mph fun...

Take care,

-Chris

Old 06-02-2010, 09:36 AM
ArkHemi
Professional
Default SC3865 and Changing My Plugs

This may sound stupid to you guys but this is the first time I've had to change the spark plugs since I've owned my Hemi. I'm going to have the plugs changed. I'm not doing it myself but NOT taking it to the dealer either. Having a local shop do it. Do I need to retune my truck to stock before I take it or will it be ok? I just don't want to end up with the proverbial $300 paperweight.

Any help would be appreciated.

William

Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Scott@Superchips
Former Vendor

Well you can tell the tech that you are tuned and to not reprogram anything in the PCM/TCM but the 10-15 minutes it takes to return to stock has better odds and is recomended for those just in case moments.

Either way, the programmer will never be a paperweight. We can get it fixed but in some cases that has a price attached to it.

It's better to be safe than sorry I always say.

Scott

Originally Posted by ArkHemi
This may sound stupid to you guys but this is the first time I've had to change the spark plugs since I've owned my Hemi. I'm going to have the plugs changed. I'm not doing it myself but NOT taking it to the dealer either. Having a local shop do it. Do I need to retune my truck to stock before I take it or will it be ok? I just don't want to end up with the proverbial $300 paperweight.

Any help would be appreciated.

William

Old 06-02-2010, 11:06 AM
ArkHemi
Professional

Originally Posted by Scott@Superchips
Well you can tell the tech that you are tuned and to not reprogram anything in the PCM/TCM but the 10-15 minutes it takes to return to stock has better odds and is recomended for those just in case moments.

Either way, the programmer will never be a paperweight. We can get it fixed but in some cases that has a price attached to it.

It's better to be safe than sorry I always say.

Scott

Scott

Thanks for the reply. That seems like some pretty sound advice.

William

Old 06-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Gasturbine
Professional
Question Can I use it on a 2nd vehicle?

I got my 3865 last night, and it appears to be preloaded for my specific vehicle. Can I use it on another specified vehicle? If so, what do I have to do?

Thanks!

-Chris

Old 06-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Gasturbine
Professional

Originally Posted by ArkHemi
Do I need to retune my truck to stock before I take it or will it be ok?
It will be fine. The shop has no way of knowing what tune you have, nor would they care.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Superchips Questions and Updates